“Practice makes perfect, You have to be the best, You have to work harder than everyone else, Team 'no sleep'”. These are a few phrases that are a recipe for disaster. Perfection is an unrealistic expectation that does not match most of our reality. Someone else's success is NOT a standard for your success. You set your own standard and move towards that standard. Everyone who is successful, has fallen more times than they have ran. Your journey will never look like the person next to you. The perfectionist mindset increases depression, stress, anxiety, frustration, and a number of other emotions that are unhelpful in the present moment. Here is the truth.
- You will never be perfect.
- Everything living requires rest to live.
- Practice does not make you perfect, it makes you more efficient at whatever you are doing..
- There will always be someone that knows more, cooks better, makes more money, is crafteir, is funnier, or is a stellar athlete
- Working harder is never the answer, you want to work smarter..
- Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not anyone on social media or your immediate or extended circle.
- Share your success stories with the highs and the lows to break the stigma surrounding perfectionism.
The goal is to commit to being the best version of yourself, comparing yourself to yourself in mind, body, and soul. Life has its ups and downs and its own pressures, no need to add to those obstacles by subscribing to an idea of perfectionism that does not exist and will cause you to lose the joy and appreciation for where you are today. You are AMAZING!
- Natasha Thomas, LMFT